STOP! Please Read Our Adoption Process
- We do NOT adopt outside of Colorado.
- You must be at least 21 years of age to adopt.
- We do NOT adopt siblings/littermates, (puppies). We DO adopt mom/puppy combos. We DO adopt out littermates for kittens, and strongly encourage adopting 2 at the same time. It’s better for their mental well-being.
- We do NOT adopt in-tact animals.
- Please do not apply to adopt an animal today if you are going on vacation within the next month. We will not “hold them” or board them for you. Be prepared for your pet to come home within a week if you are approved.
- Look at currently available pets below, and click on their picture to read their bio.
- MAKE SURE YOU MEET THE MINIMUM ADOPTION REQUIREMENTS FOR THE PET YOU ARE APPLYING TO ADOPT – If you do not meet the minimum adoption requirements for that animal, your application will not be processed. If you do meet the requirements, please complete our online adoption application. This application MUST be completed in it’s entirety. Do not rush! If not completed fully, answering every question in its entirety – your application will not be processed.
- DO NOT APPLY FOR A DOG THAT HAS NOT BEEN LISTED FOR ADOPTION YET, OR IF WE ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR A DOG. If you saw an animal on our Facebook page or blog, but it has not yet been listed for adoption on our website, or the description says, “No longer accepting applications / Adoption Pending,” – Do not apply for that animal. We do not yet know anything about these animals or what their ideal home looks like and we will not accept applications for them until they are posted for adoption below. Please apply for an animal listed as “AVAILABLE” currently on our website who desperately needs a home NOW.
- We do not allow adoptions as “gifts,” or for another party. The OWNER must be the approved adopter, and must sign the contract.
- Make sure the references you list on your application are aware that they must return our call immediately. Failure to speak with your personal and veterinary references will result in a delay/declined application.
- Please contact your veterinarian immediately and authorize release of information (pet history) to our rescue. Failure to do so will result in a declined application.
- If you don’t hear back from us within 3 business days of submitting your application, please email us at email@example.com.
- Once your application has passed review we will call for a phone interview and to schedule a meeting as long as you meet the minimum requirements for the animal, and if the animal is still available.
- We keep all applications on file until January of the following year. You do not need to re-apply if you have already applied for an animal this calendar year, as long as all of your information is the same.
- If you have a Pre-APPROVED application already on file, you may e-mail us to request to meet any of our listed/available animals as long as you meet the requirements for that animal. It is ALWAYS best to have a pre-approved application on file. You can put a general application in HERE
- If after meeting the pet you are interested in adopting, and you and the animal both fall in love, you will place a $100.00 (non-refundable) holding deposit on your animal, and a PRAR rep will schedule a home visit. Click on the FAQ button below to learn more about our home visits.
- Once the home visit has been passed, arrangements will be made to sign our adoption contract and take possession of your new fur-baby.
A WORD ABOUT REHOMING OUR PETS
Our adoption contract stipulates that you shall NEVER sell or give away our adopted pets. Not to family, not to anyone. We retain first right of refusal to bring our dogs back into rescue if you can no longer keep them, and we do not refund adoption fees. Violations of this stipulation are taken EXTREMELY seriously, so be adamantly sure you are ready to adopt a FOREVER friend.
**NOTE** ALL OF OUR ANIMALS ARE ON A WELLNESS HOLD FOR A MINIMUM OF 14 DAYS FROM ARRIVAL! This allows us the opportunity to ensure our animals are healthy, and to complete behavioral assessments so that we may place our kiddos in the best home FOR THEM. We do not adopt on a first come – first served basis. Homes are selected based on the individual animal’s needs after we have reviewed ALL applications for that animal. P.R.A.R. reserves the right to refuse adoption to any home/person/family we deem to be an unfit match for our pets.