STOP! Please Read Our Adoption Process
- Please read through our FAQ page for answers to commonly asked questions.
- We do not adopt outside of Colorado.
- You must be at least 21 years of age to adopt.
- Browse our available pets on the ADOPTABLES page of our website.
- Read the pet’s complete bio (including minimum requirements). Do not apply for a pet that you do not meet minimum requirements for.
- You may apply for any pet on our website, however, if they have not been posted for adoption yet – we are not allowing meetings for them until all vetting has been completed and they have been posted for adoption.
- Click on the link at the bottom of the pet’s profile to submit an adoption application. If you already have a pre-approved application on file, you can e-mail us to express interest in a currently available pet. We keep all applications on file for 1 year.
- Take your time completing the adoption application. Answer EVERY question thoroughly and with as much detail as possible. Applications not completed properly will either be declined or severely delayed – and you may not be considered for the pet you originally applied for.
- Contact your personal references and instruct them to respond to our volunteers immediately. A delay in their response will delay your approval.
- If you don’t hear back from us within 2 business days of submitting your application, please email us at email@example.com.
- Once the application is approved, (and if the pet is still available) we will contact you for a phone interview about the pet you are interested in meeting.
- A private meeting will be scheduled for you to meet the pet at their foster home.
- If you choose to adopt the pet after meeting them, you will place a $100 non-refundable deposit to hold that pet for you.
- A volunteer will contact you to schedule a home visit. (Typically within 24 hours) See FAQ about our home visits.
- Once the home visit has been completed, an adoption date/time will be scheduled. (Typically within 24-48 hours of the home visit)
- You will meet with the Executive Director of P.R.A.R. to sign our adoption contract and go over medical/vaccine records. We will have a brief discussion about caring for this pet and keeping them safe. Your new pet will be on-site and ready to go home with you once the adoption meeting is complete and all documents have been signed. This meeting typically takes about 30 minutes – and we ask that you please leave young children at home. They get really bored and can be very distracting while we are trying to talk about super important stuff ♥
**NOTE** ALL OF OUR ANIMALS ARE ON A WELLNESS HOLD FOR A MINIMUM OF 14 DAYS FROM ARRIVAL! This allows us the opportunity to ensure our animals are healthy, and to complete behavioral assessments so that we may place our kiddos in the best home FOR THEM. We do not adopt on a first come – first served basis. Homes are selected based on the individual animal’s needs after we have reviewed ALL applications for that animal. P.R.A.R. reserves the right to refuse adoption to any home/person/family we deem to be an unfit match for our pets.