🔴 WARNING – GRAPHIC PHOTOS BELOW 🔴 On April 27th, we were alerted by Toni McQueen that #MamaAnnie was found laying in the driveway, PREGNANT, IN DISTRESS, and BARELY RESPONSIVE – We now know that due to the extremely poor condition her body was in, Annie was in the middle of a late term miscarriage with one premature baby hanging halfway out of her body. Her emaciated, bacteria and infection ridden body simply could not carry the pregnancy any longer. She was vomiting maggots! She had multiple open wounds from being attacked at least a week prior by 5 resident dogs. Those wounds were infested with maggots and were oozing pus. We were told that the “owner” came outside and SPIT on Annie when help arrived to try to save her life. She looked at this dying little dog and said, “She ain’t worth it,” before she allowed local rescue group – “WOOF PET RESCUE” of Woodward, OK to take Annie away for emergency care. Annie was rushed to Woodward Animal Hospital in Oklahoma where Dr. Didier found her to be extremely dehydrated and malnourished, so much so that it affected her kidneys, she was too dehydrated to deliver her puppies and she could not produce milk. She was severely anemic and her liver values were abnormally high. She was given a jugular IV, (because she was too dehydrated to go in through a vein) and oxytocin was administered, after which she delivered two stillborn babies basically through a dry birth canal. After 2.5 hours with no progress, we made the difficult decision to perform a C-section/spay knowing it was likely that mom would not survive. But if we didn’t do the C-section, she was going to die anyway. It was a horrible decision for our Dr. to have to make. Annie had 10 babies. Of those 10, 4 were born alive. 2 perished within hours, the other 2 surviving premature puppies perished within a week. Annie survived the surgery and miraculously made some progress, though she has a long road of healing in front of her. (We had NO IDEA how rough that road would be though!) 😔 Law enforcement is involved. (story continues below)
In the photos above, you see Annie as she was loaded into the rescuer’s vehicle to rush to the veterinarian. You can see the premature puppy (Dodge) literally halfway out of his mother. She was too unresponsive to break his sack or sever his umbilical cord
The photos above were sent to us by Dr. Didier at Woodward Animal Hospital. This was after Annie’s emergency C-section and after he had meticulously removed all of the putrid pus and maggots from her wounds. Further treatment of these wounds was not possible at this time because of how incredibly sick Annie was. Dr. Didier said he had never seen anything like Annie’s case… A sentiment reiterated by EVERY. SINGLE. DOCTOR. AND. HOSPITAL. SHE. HAS. BEEN. TO. SINCE.
Annie’s story doesn’t end there… After 4 days of ICU care in Oklahoma, Annie was stable enough to transfer to us here in Colorado. She was put on an emergency transport with volunteer, Jim McQueen that traveled through the night, and she arrived to us at 4am on May 1st. Despite the extreme pain and horrific physical condition she was in, she greeted me with a wagging tail, and soft warm kisses. She went directly to our Veterinarians at Happy Tails Veterinary Center for a complete evaluation and bloodwork. She was far too unhealthy for the wound debridement surgery she desperately needed when she arrived, so we had to put her on medications to help her liver, anemia, and infection so that she would stand a chance at surviving another surgery. It was a race against time as the wounds were deep and severely infected. She had so many holes all over her body that the pus would literally drip out of her constantly! This constant dripping lead to severe dehydration and Annie required round the clock SubQ hydration. Her skin was beginning to break down, and if she didn’t have this surgery urgently her skin would begin to slough off of her body. **Read that again** HER SKIN WAS SO BROKEN DOWN FROM PUS AND MAGGOTS THAT IT WAS GOING TO START FALLING OFF OF HER BODY! After 3 days with us, Annie was healthy enough for debridement surgery. This surgery was performed on Monday, May 4th. She did well. Multiple drains were placed to help flush out the infection. But then… EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. after surgery, Annie had to go back to the vet because her skin was not strong enough for the sutures to hold it together. Her skin was tearing like tissue paper and all of her wounds needed to be reinforced with heavier grade sutures and staples. Not only that, but new pockets of infection were forming and subsequently bursting through her skin, requiring additional procedures to clean, suture and staple them. EVERY. SINGLE. DAY!!! She was also getting blood work every 2 days to monitor her liver values and blood counts. She was quite anemic upon arrival, but curiously her white blood cell counts were skyrocketing and the vets couldn’t figure out WHY!? Was there an infection we didn’t know about? If so, where was it?! Through all of this, her incredible spirit, will to live, and capacity to LOVE kept showing through with every person she met. Even though the procedures were HURTING HER – She would still reach back and kiss her techs and her doctors… It’s as if she knew everyone was trying to help her. Continued below…
The above photos show the condition Annie was in when she arrived to Colorado on May 1st. The skin breakdown from the pus and what the maggots had done to her was rapidly escalating. The debridement surgery was EMERGENT. One of the wounds on her left rear leg went straight through the muscle and out through the other side of her leg, and a wound on her right front leg was so deep that you could see the tendon moving inside the leg
Annie was doing well from the 4th through the 8th… for the most part, aside from new infection pockets presenting and subsequently bursting, and the constantly rising white blood cell counts, continuing anemia, and elevated liver values. But on Friday, the 8th Annie began having vaginal bleeding. She was rushed back in to Happy Tails Veterinary Hospital, where we were told the bleeding wasn’t severe enough to be worrisome, YET, but if it got worse she would need to be seen urgently. We scheduled an Ultrasound for the 12th to see if we could find out what was going on. There is really NO logical reason that a spayed dog should have vaginal bleeding. By Saturday morning, Annie’s kennel area looked like a murder scene, there was so much blood everywhere. She was passing blood clots nearly the size of the palm of my hand! (Keep in mind that Annie is a very small 23lbs) She was refusing food, her gums were pale white, (indicating severe anemia) she was cold, had NO blood pressure, and she was extremely lethargic. We rushed Annie over to VRCC in Englewood for an emergency ultrasound. When we arrived, Annie was in shock and required IV (jugular) stabilization. We had a little problem. Annie NEEDED the ultrasound, but she was too critical to have the procedure, (more anesthesia.) The only way to stabilize her was for her to have a blood transfusion, but VRCC was out of blood. Our doctors at Happy Tails had the blood, but they didn’t have the radiologist to do the Ultrasound. We waited for about 5 hours for VRCC to stabilize Annie enough (raise temperature and normalize her blood pressure) to have the ultrasound. The ultrasound showed that she had a LOT of air in her abdomen, her uterine stump was inflamed, and she had free fluid in her abdominal cavity, (that’s not supposed to be there) and they could not rule out a perforation. As soon as the ultrasound was finished, we loaded Annie into the car and RACED her to Happy Tails to begin her blood transfusion. Annie would require emergency exploratory surgery to try to find the source of the vaginal bleeding, but she had to have blood first. She was CRITICAL! Annie stabilized after her first partial transfusion enough that the docs felt comfortable (not really) opening her up. During surgery they did not find a perforation, they did remove the fluid, (which was identified as Septic Peritonitis) and they found that she had adhesions on her uterine stump that had attached the stump between her bladder and her colon. Those adhesions were removed. They could NOT find a reason for the massive blood loss. And on top of all that, another infection pocket had developed and burst in her right rear hock which required additional staples. Annie spent the night at the hospital finishing her blood transfusion, getting round the clock care, and various blood tests. We picked her up on Sunday morning and brought her home with an IV catheter in place, IV antibiotics, and constant hydration to battle the dehydration and raging infection inside of her little 23lb body. By Sunday evening she hadn’t had any bleeding for 36 hours, and her gums were beginning to turn pink again! Continued below…
The photos above depict the bleeding and how quickly Annie went from feeling – OKAY – to being on Death’s door for the 2nd time in under two weeks. You can also see her pale gums and a wound where sutures opened up due to frail/weak skin.
We talk about it in Annie’s Facebook group often, (https://www.facebook.com/groups/justiceformamaannie/) – Her sheer will to survive. She should not have lived through all that she has, but her soul just isn’t ready to give up. She is the strongest little dog I’ve ever met. Her soul is on fire, and her story just is NOT ready to be finished! I’ve said it a million times… “If they’re fighting, I’M FIGHTING!” As Annie’s medical bills started to rack up into the BIG Numbers, (Over $7,000) between Feb 27th and May 9th we were getting SCARED. We are a small little rescue, and we didn’t know what we were going to do, we just knew that this little girl absolutely COULD NOT die without ever knowing what it was like to be loved. So we started ramping up our fundraising efforts and really trying to get her story out there for people to see! We didn’t have a lot of time for all that tho – because by Sunday night, May 10th, Annie’s bleeding was back with a vengeance! We raced her over to Parker Animal Emergency and Specialty Center because we knew they had a vaginoscope, and we needed to get a look inside of her to see what on earth could be causing all of this blood loss! Annie was stabilized again at AESC, and we were again sent home to watch her because they did not have the equipment necessary to cauterize or repair a vaginal laceration if one was found. We made an appointment with a reproductive specialist at Wheat Ridge Animal Hospital for 8 am the next morning for a vaginoscopy. When we arrived at the hospital, Annie was severely febrile with a fever of 104.9, and her PCVs (red blood cells) had plummeted to 17%. Our precious little Annie was yet again on death’s doorstep. The reproductive specialist could not treat Annie or do the vaginoscopy because she was so critical. Annie was transferred immediately to the Critical Care unit in the hospital and efforts began to save her life… again. Annie had yet another ultrasound, 3 or 4 more blood transfusions, multiple tests and other procedures as doctors raced to try to find out where this massive bleeding was coming from. Every procedure she had was another bout of anesthesia… another doctor explaining that she may not wake up this time. She is a fighter, but she has fought so long and so hard that she is growing weak. These discussions always ended with the doctors asking if I want her revived should she crash. The decision making for this girl was so stressful at times, that on at least one occasion, I had to give decision making authority to her regular Dr., Dr. Megan Bos at Happy Tails, because I just COULD. NOT. DO. IT. ANYMORE. After Annie’s first blood transfusion at WRAH, she stabilized a bit, and started looking very slightly better. That said, I couldn’t shake the feeling that something was very wrong in the middle of the night, so I called to check on her. I was right, it was bad. Annie was crashing again. Her temperature had gone from 104.9 12 hours earlier, to now an unbelievable 96.9, and her PCV’s were back to 17%. They were doing a rapid infusion of blood and trying to keep her alive. I was on stand-by to go to the hospital, (45 minutes away) so that our precious, mangled little girl would not have to die alone. I was frantic at home and reached out to #Annie’sArmy. A prayer chain was started IMMEDIATELY and those social media strangers who have grown to love Annie as much as any of us, spent their night praying for our girl, crying with me, keeping me company, and being a huge source of comfort. After 3 hours, I got the call that Annie was tolerating the additional blood infusions, and her temperature was coming up. We HAD TO FIND THE SOURCE OF THE BLEEDING! NOW!
Tuesday, the 12th was full of more tests, more blood infusions and more worry because we still had no answers.
Wednesday, the 13th, we finally got the vaginoscopy (another procedure under anesthesia). What they found blew EVERYONE’S MIND! They found that Annie had a varicocele (basically a varicose vein or hemorrhoid) 6cm up inside of her vagina that was bleeding out. This is almost unheard of. Doctors DO NOT SEE THIS. It is exceedingly rare and when it does happen, it happens mostly in horses! As such… no one knows how to treat it! They can’t do an episiotomy to go in vaginally to repair it. They can’t go in abdominally to repair it… The only way to really reach this thing is to crack her pelvis in half (uhmm no!) They did administer gel foam and an epinephrine soaked tampon to her to stop the active bleeding and it worked. But it’s a temporary band-aid on an otherwise ticking time bomb.
So today is Thursday, the 14th, and this is where we are. Annie has this extremely rare THING inside of her that no one knows how to treat because no one has seen it before. Multiple hospitals, teaching hospitals, surgical teams and various surgeons from all over are consulting on her case right now to try to decide how to best protect Annie from bleeding out again. As of this moment, Annie is getting tampons soaked in PreparationH (hemorrhoid cream) every 8 hours because PreparationH works on human hemorrhoids.. why not a dog? Right? I hope? At least these band-aids are buying us some time to figure out how in the world we are going to tackle this! Annie’s PCV’s have come back up to 45%, she is eating, drinking, wagging her happy tail again, and she spends her time kissing all of her doctors and nurses. Let’s all just hope the band-aid holds!
5/15/20 – Annie was discharged from Wheatridge Animal Hospital. Her precious little self is stable enough to come home – though we are constantly watching and waiting for her varicocele to hemorrhage again. We have emergency supplies on hand to staunch the bleeding if that happens, and Dr. Bos has made herself available 24/7 in the case of emergency with Annie. I picked her up from the hospital and she was ALL LOVE. ALL WAGS, ALL SMILES! That’s our girl! She’s in ridiculous pain – but just wants to give love anyway! We left WRAH and went straight to Happy Tails clinic so she could see her other care team, and do to an interview with Greg Nieto with Fox31 news. That interview can be seen here – https://kdvr.com/news/problem-solvers/abused-dog-in-need-of-help
After the interview, and giving loves and kisses to everyone, Annie was exhausted. She came home at about 5:30pm, didn’t eat, got her meds and slept until about 9:30 the next morning. Her body is tired. Her body needs rest. Doctors are still diligently trying to find an answer to her vaginal varicocele… It’s nerve wracking knowing that she could start to bleed out again at any moment.
5/19/20 – Maranda Dawne Weber was arrested on FELONY Cruelty to Animals Charges!
5/22/20 Culture results from a swollen/painful left rear hock that Annie has been battling for weeks show that she has a rare and emerging antibiotic resistant E-Coli bacterial infection. This likely came from the bacteria either in the mouth of the dog that bit her, or her own skin bacteria that has become resistant. Annie has been put on special medication, and will undergo surgery early in the morning on 5/23/20 to flush the wound and the joint. This poor baby can’t seem to catch a break!
🔴 How YOU can help!! MEDICAL BILLS ARE NOW OVER $17,300!! We need help to pay these bills, and the future bills yet to come! Annie’s care is nowhere near over, and her rehabilitation will likely be long-term. Donations can be sent through the donate button below, or through Venmo @Pawsitive-Restorations, or if you prefer, you can call the hospital directly to donate to our account 303-222-7777 . THANK YOU!! Please #SHARE Annie’s story wherever you possibly can! We want people to see her story… Her “Owner” said she wasn’t “Worth it.” She is.. oh she absolutely is! And we are going to show her just how WORTH IT she is! Annie WILL KNOW LOVE in her lifetime!
Media May Contact The rescue directly for use of Annie’s story. Many media outlets are including incorrect information in their releases. We WANT Annie’s story to be told, but we want the CORRECT story told. The content on this page is the only authorized/accurate account of Annie’s struggles.
MEDIA LINKS REGARDING ANNIE’S CASE –
🔴#NOTE We CANNOT discuss this case, the previous owner, the other dogs or anything happening out of the public eye. We have to do this carefully to protect the case and try to get #JusticeForAnnie. We are as angry and heartbroken as you are and there are lots of people working on this behind the scenes to see to it that justice is served for this precious, sweet little soul!