Use this form to submit ADOPTION APPLICATION reference forms only.
Instructions for Adoption Application Processors
Processing an Adoption Application, and completing the online reference form
- Please review all applications thoroughly for ANY red flags, (gone long hours, history of rehoming/losing an animal, large number of animals, no fence/short fence, history of parvo in the home, conflicting statements, anything that makes your spidey senses tingle). Note anything that might be a red flag in the notes section at the bottom of the online form.
- Complete ALL applicable form entries thoroughly. There are guideline notes below most entries for you to follow. This is where we need thorough explanations.
- Look up the address on your Google maps phone app, (aerial view) and note in the “HOME NOTES” section what you can see:
- What is the listed fencing material & height on the App?
- View the home (aerial view on Google Maps) and briefly describe (Small/Lg nice home, fenced, landscaping, junk everywhere, small/large yard etc.)
- Remember that oftentimes these images can be a year old, so if you have questions or concerns about a yard/space, you may contact the applicant and ask that they send some photos to you for clarification. You should upload any photos/documents the applicant sends you with your reference check form.
- Does the applicant have locks on gates, or are they willing to add them?
- Please contact both personal references right away by sending them the pre-scripted text on the Reference Check Form Page.. If you don’t hear back within a few hours, please contact the applicant directly and ask them to have their references respond to you. This is often what holds applications up.
- If you have an application with a FANTASTIC veterinary reference and only one personal reference has gotten back to you, you may submit the reference check form online. Don’t hold the application up waiting for the second reference if the vet reference is stellar.
- If the applicant rents, we must have a copy of the lease agreement showing that pets are permitted and that they are not over the limit or trying to adopt a pet that is restricted in the lease agreement. If this is not provided as an upload in the application, then you must contact the Landlord for approval using the scripted text on the Reference Check Form Page. Note on the form who you contacted and when, and what their response was.
- Please contact veterinarians right away and ask questions indicated on form. BE SURE TO ASK THE VET TO LIST ALL PETS FOR THE PAST 5 YEARS. (People pushing their legal limit, or if animals are not vaccinated/spay/neutered may neglect to tell us about an animal they currently own, so please verify with the vet that the animals they have listed on the application are the only animals the vet shows on their account)
Reference Forms should be submitted via the form below as soon as you have all of the information, and within 24 hours of your receipt of the app. If you are having problems getting information, please note that on the application spreadsheet so that we will know what the hold-up is for that application. If you have any questions about anything on the app, please contact the coordinator who sent you the app right away.
Scripted Texts Below
Copy and paste the following text to each personal reference (changing information as prompted) and document their response in the form. Please READ the copied text to make sure it reads properly on your phone and didn’t get all chopped up. We want it to look professional.
PERSONAL REFERENCES TEXT:
This is (Your Name) from Pawsitive Restorations Animal Rescue. (Applicants full name) has applied to adopt their new pet from us and (he/she) listed you as a personal reference. Since you are such a close, personal friend of theirs, we have a few questions for you. Your answers to these questions WILL remain confidential.
- Have you personally witnessed their care and treatment of animals, and do you feel that they would be a good and responsible pet parent for the pet’s entire life?
- Do they currently have any other pets and how many of each type?
- Are you aware of any history of rehoming or abuse/neglect to animals?
If you could please send your answers within 24 hours I would greatly appreciate it! We cannot complete the application process until we have heard back from you. Please feel free to text me back or call me at this number. Thank you so much and have a great day!
LANDLORD APPROVAL TEXT:
This is (Your Name) with Pawsitive Restorations Animal Rescue! Your tennant, (Applicant’s full name) has applied to adopt a (dog/cat) from our organization. We need to verify whether the tennant is permitted to adopt a (dog/cat) to keep on the premises at (Address).
Additionally, are there any pet restrictions that we should be aware of? Your timely response is greatly appreciated, as we cannot complete the adoption application without your approval. Thank you so much for your time and attention!